Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Sure Dad?


Well, I am back in NE Scotland and getting ready to settle down for Christmas. Had a great time in Shetland and I had to spend a couple of days in the Central Belt this week. I have a "To Do" list about as long as roll of toilet roll, but it is time to spend time with Mary & the kids. This is just a wee short blog ... with a Christmas flavour!


A few nights ago I was telling the kids the story of Jesus when he went up the mountain and met Moses & Elijah. I know it's not Christmassy (is that really a word?), but Lydia always goes to the Index page of her children's Bible and 'chooses' the page number she feels we should go to. Prophetic at 4 years old LOL! Anyway explaining the word 'transfiguration' to a 4 & 2 year old was pretty interesting. I asked wee Lydia, "Do you know who Moses is?" I expected a "Dunno dad" but to my utter astonishment she replied, "Yup, he is the wee boy who was put in a basket and put in the river."

"Obviously having a daddy who is in charge of a Bible School is rubbing of on this wee beautiful girl," thought I proudly. I gave her a great big congratulations hug. Then I added, "How about Elijah, what did he do?", expecting a story of fire from heaven etc. "He was a lovely man" she said with great conviction, "He was the very nice man who picked Moses out of the river and looked after him!" My confidence was now wobbling.

"And what about Jesus, Lydia, what does He do?" She immediately replied, "He makes people better when they are sick, he does good things and he died for us (by this point I was wonderfully amazed that her Christology was so accurate and that she was doctrinally sound) ... and sure dad, every Christmas he goes on a sledge and gives all the good kids a wee present. I'm getting a Barbie from Jesus, sure dad?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hie pastor!!!!! MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! Hope you n your family have the greatest christmas ever!!! God bless!!!

PS: Miss you guys like crazee!!!!!!!