Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Breaking News!

You will never believe this blog today ...

Sunday was a funny old day! It started off with bad news. Pastor Winston's wife Mary Jane is only 28 weeks pregnant but this last week she has stared to bleed a bit. Winston was worried and so on Sunday morning she was admitted to a local hospital. Mary & I were so worried and we prayed for them as we drove to church.

On Sunday we all went to Cornerstone Santiago as a family and we had a great service. We are doing a series of teachings called 'Building Strong Relationships' and I was preaching about "Living at Peace with Yourself'. There are so many Christians who are hurt, wounded or have been misunderstood .. and they cannot move on in their christian walk. At the same time, there are so many Christians who have been forgiven by God for something they have done ... even forgiven by those they have hurt - but somehow they cannot forgive themselves. Sometimes WE hold they key to OUR freedom, but we never use it. We stay locked up by ourselves.

So many people responded to the message and I believe many were released from their own chains. We will never do anything for God is we cannot live in peace with ourselves.

After the service we went and bought food for Winston and all their visitors in hospital. Mary went up to Mary-Jane's room and I stayed in the car with Lydia & Josiah. She was there for ages .. and the kids were getting more and more naughty! You know how it is being cooped up in a car. Every button and lever is a big temptation for little hands! Aaaaaggghh...

After 50 minutes Mary arrived ... in tears. I feared the worst for Mary-Jane but Mary cried, "I'm sorry Mark, but I've had an accident!" She was trying to rush down to the car to see me and the kids and she was wearing high heels. On the stairs she slipped and her full weight landed on her right wrist. She was in agony. We went to A&E and the Doctor was sleeping when we arrived. I could see from Mary's face that she was suffering. She went really pale and couldn't talk. Well, there are only two times when Mary doesn't talk ... when she is sleeping and when she is in agony ... so I knew it was the latter!

They took x-rays and they confirmed it was broken. Funny thing is, they gave Mary an injection and it kinda made her a bit high! It dulled the pain .. but elevated her spirits shall we say! All the visitors arriving to see Mary Jane on the 2nd floor were shocked to see Mary in a bed on ground level. Mary seemed so happy (!) and even told this old Pastor that the advice she would give is to never wear high heels in hospital. OK advice ... but the pastor is over 60 years old, quite straight-laced - and a man!!

Mary had her arm put in a fibreglass cast and is walking around with a sling. It was very painful yesterday but not so bad today. Doctor said that the pain would subside tomorrow. But I want to assure you that I am the one who will continue to suffer. Looking after the kids - washing them, taking to toilet, cooking for them, feeding them, etc. etc. etc is an pretty hard job. Added to that, I have had to take out Mary's contact lenses, help her with her clothes etc. Man, it's bad! Maybe the Lord is trying to show me that I shouldn't take many things in my life for granted. My mum used to say, "A woman's work is never done." I used to nod with my head but now I believe it in my heart! Hats off to all you ladies. I am the new No1 fan in the Mum's Appreciation Society.

Mary will be fine. Already she is laughing about the day she went to visit a friend in hospital and ended in hospital herself! But please pray for Winston & Mary Jane. She was discharged today and has to have 2 weeks complete rest. They will decide whether she goes back to work or just rests for the endurance of her pregnancy. Pray for Mary and the teachers in school as they have to juggle new schedules and classes due to Mary-Jane's absence.

I leave you with one little blessing form Sunday - Josiah aka Elvis Pressley. After the service, when everyone was almost gone (PTL), he picked up the mike and started singing "one Way ... Jesus". We were all blessed and prayed that this little boy would grow up pointing people in the way of Jesus and that he would live up to his name ... "The Fire of the Lord"

Keep praying for us all ... and please remember - don't run when you wear your high heals (even Pastors!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mark and Mary - so sorry about your arm Mary at least God's timing is perfect - Mark did not have to drive you to hospital....
God is so faithful in all things. Mark "working together" will definately have taken on a new meaning when you have to help Mary with nearly everything.
Trusting that the final weeks of pregnancy goes well with Mary Jane and Winston and God will give them a peace through the waiting time.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, I could always tell your mum is a VERY wise lady.:)

Anonymous said...

hi so sorry to hear if this incident.Also sorry for you Mark--I mean it!!!!!! Its such a hard life when youre left with everything to do!! Give our love to Mary and kids and also to Winston and mary jane will remember them in our prayers. Auntie Betty and uncle Billy xxx

Anonymous said...

hi so sorry to hear if this incident.Also sorry for you Mark--I mean it!!!!!! Its such a hard life when youre left with everything to do!! Give our love to Mary and kids and also to Winston and mary jane will remember them in our prayers. Auntie Betty and uncle Billy xxx

Anonymous said...

Hello there!

Sorry to hear about your arm Mary! - owch! I hope it gets better soon, but until then you can enjoy watching Mark do all your little jobs. I can imagine him now! lol

I really hope Mary Jane's ok!!!! You can tell Winston that I am asking for them.

I'll be praying for you all! (I'll pray for you too Mark beacause somehow I think you might need it! haha :P lol)
Missing you all heaps. Lots of love from Jemma Rose

xxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

oh my mary, what a shame! will be praying for a speedy recovery for your arm!! hope mark is adjusting well to being a house husband...the new 21st centuary man! hehe! Praying for you all.
Budgie number 1 haha
x

Anonymous said...

oh my mary, what a shame! will be praying for a speedy recovery for your arm!! hope mark is adjusting well to being a house husband...the new 21st centuary man! hehe! Praying for you all.
Budgie number 1 haha
x

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Hope all is well in the Ritchie household! Back from Fraserburgh now!

Mary it's the Lord's way of telling u to slow down!!!! - hope dat husband is looking after u! So proud of u adopted daddy wit all ur chores and not being able to attend conference! Wish I cld be there to help you - but can't be in two places at once!

Love and prayrs for u all and also for Mary Jane and Winston

All da best for Cornerstone anniversary tomorrow.

Love ur adopted daughter aka budgie no 2

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear this news but no man will ever be the worse of discovering the truth that "a woman's work is never done" Be blessed as you learn this by a fibre glass (as opposed to concrete) example. Mary - I hope this can be a time of a bit more "me-time" for you. I hope you have some good books to help you with this.