Thursday, October 15, 2009

Amos 9

The Lord speaks in many ways - through preaching, through the prophetic word, through dreams and visions, through circumstances, through words of knowledge ... and especially through His Word. I've learned that if the Lord wants me to take note of something or if He really wants to speak to me, He will let me hear or read the same passage of scripture three or four times. Same with you?

Two days ago I was reading my Bible and I was going through Amos. Sometimes it is good to read a whole book at once. Chapters are there to break things down but most of these books were written and meant to be read as one book or letter. We can sit and read a novel or auto biography for hours but when we are reading God's Word we read a couple of pages, two or three chapters and say, "Right, that's enough for today." It's good - especially with the minor prophets and the Epistles (letters) - to read the whole book.

Anyway, enough of me rambling on. I was reading Amos 9 and it hit me right between the eyes. I read it in the NLT and I wondered what it said in the Message translation. Yesterday, I was reading a blog and also a magazine ... and in both Amos 9 were used.

Today, whilst driving to Church, I was listening to Paul Scanlon's message "Understanding Transition" and he uses it as his text ... from the Message! I knew God was speaking to me. He is amazing. So often He is desperate to speak .. but are we listening?

Here is what it says in Amos 9:13-15, from the Message:


Yes indeed, it won't be long now. God's Decree.

Things are going to happen so fast your head will swim, one thing fast on the heels of the other. You won't be able to keep up. Everything will be happening at once—and everywhere you look, blessings! Blessings like wine pouring off the mountains and hills. I'll make everything right again for my people Israel:

They'll rebuild their ruined cities.
They'll plant vineyards and drink good wine.
They'll work their gardens and eat fresh vegetables.
And I'll plant them, plant them on their own land.
They'll never again be uprooted from the land I've given them.

God, your God, says so.


I don't want to elaborate or suggest anything right now. Maybe these verses are for one or some of you reading this. I believe they are for me .. I have read the words but now I have to ask God for the understanding.

Pray about it ... maybe this is for you. If you want to comment or send a wee message, would be great to hear from you.

Blog again soon ...

Selah



3 comments:

Diane said...

This is definitely for me. The funny thing is I've got that Paul Scanlon message podcast in my 'things to listen to' list already.

We're about to undergo a huge transition - after 7 years in Australia, we're going to Northern Ireland - home for me, a new experience for my husband. It raises a lot of emotions, thoughts, questions.

So yes, I DID need some Amos 9 in my life today. I'll be praying for you as you apply it to your own life, & that God's path is abundantly clear.

Anonymous said...

was for me too. Believing Amos 9 for Scotland. One of the things that struck me when I visited you in 2007 was how much our country needs a move of God. 'The fallen house of 'Scotland' needs its damaged walls repaired and 'restored to it's former glory'. Hard to believe that many people died for their faith here and so many missionaries changed the world from Scotland. Am believing it's time now to see Amos 9 here. Had actually been reading Amos just before I read your blog.

Monica

mother of many said...

mark do you know whats happened to Matts blog? I cant connect to it no matter how I try. Jenx