Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Build the Ship while at Sea

These last few weeks have been hard for many people here in the Philippines. Typhoon 'Frank' hit the southern part of the nation hard and many hundreds lost their lives. The storm came on so quickly and many were caught unaware. Around 22 sea vessels sank on that terrible night. The worst disaster was the capsizing of one of the Philippines' largest passenger liner, the Princess of the Stars'.

What a tragic story. Around 800 people boarded the ship fully expecting to arrive in Cebu the next day. There was a storm signal number 1 given at the place they were departing from ... very normal in the Philippines. Signal 1 is rain and slight wind. They got clearance from the coastguard and away they sailed. Typhoon Frank was far away in the South East and was heading north. They should not be troubled by the storm.

As they headed south, Typhoon Frank completely changed direction and went East. It was headed straight for the ferry. The Captain tried to sail for a safe haven but the typhoon hit them first. Within 15 minutes the ship capsized. At this time, only 30-40 people are known to have survived ... over 700 are still missing, presumed dead. So many bodies have been washed up on shore but there are 20 other vessels that sank that night. Tragedy.

I am beginning to realise that 'without faith it is IMPOSSIBLE to please God." I can try many ways to please God but if there is no element of faith invollved, they are nothing. I am learning how to fully trust God even though everything else around me shouts out the opposite. Faith ... Failing All I Trust Him. It is so easy to have safety nets around my life .. but do I really trust God ... completely?

Mary was reading me a quote the other day. It was about the beginnings of the Salvation Army and William Booth's son Bramwell uses a
n interesting quote - "We had to build the ship while we were at sea!" He was stating that the Salvation Army developed as they worked and ministered. They followed a progressive vision whilst they were setting up a movement that would touch millions.

I think that Sefton Village is a bit like that! looking back, to 8 years ago and even to more recent times, we have had to build the boat while we are at sea. We did not sit down and plan everything when we came in 2000 ... we have had to listen constantly. We have had to think and pray on our feet. As we are sailing, we have had to listen to the Lord for direction and guidance. Very often, in the midst of the storm, we have heard a 'still small voice' that has changed everything.

It's not east to build whist at sea. There are many storms! In the last month we have had so,me very serious issues to address and it seems as if the enemy is trying to undermine and destroy the plans of God. Sometimes it is easy to make a hasty decision when we see the icebergs ahead. Sometimes human logic prevails over simple faith. And sometimes we have got it wrong.

first few years here I led consistently in various settings. I was made praise and worship director for was happening at that point - we were developing For example, when I came to the Philippines one of my giftings and things I loved to do was lead worship. In Scotland I regularly led worship and in thethethe AoG in this area. But in 2003 I felt God say, step back and train up these young guys to lead the worship. So muchthe Bible School, building the Fire Centre etc. So I did. I trained up some people at Sefton to take on the worship.

That was 5 years ago. At the beginning of last year I felt the Lord say to me that He never wanted me to step back, He wanted me to step to the side and minister WITH these young guys. Looking back, in the midst of the storms, I laid down my guitar and mis-heard God's voice. We now have some great worship leaders at Cornerstone ... but I was left with a feeling of 'I've missed it ... no way back now."

But there is! I really decided to invest in a new guitar and start to strum away again. I said, "Lord, I am not going to force my way back into leading worship (like some old out of date blues singer!) ... Someone needs to ask me." Well, last week in our leaders meeting the Cornerstone guys said that the Pastors should be the back up singers and that Pastor Mark should lead the worship! Gulp!


So we had a so called practice on Friday and last Sunday morning I led the worship and all the 13 Pastors were my back uppers (as they call them in the Philippines!) You know, I loved it. I felt as though I had come home. I felt as if this was part of my life puzzle that was a missing piece! I felt that same anointing again and most importantly I felt the presence of God. I don't know where it goes from here, coz I'm building my boat whilst I am at sea.

Many Christians never leave the harbour. Many talk about the journey, dream about the destination, are fearful of impending storms and are not prepared to leave comfort behind. They never reach the open seas. They never fulfil potential. They never have the joy of arriving or the thrill of overcoming. They never really trust the 'pilot'.

A few months ago, I received a very unexpected email from a Pastor who used to teach me at Bible School. His name is George Ridley and I hadn't heard of him for years. He informed me of the amazing work he is involved in and said that he had just stumbled across my blog. At the end of his message he wrote something that really challenged me. And I pray it will challenge you also:

"Be encouraged and keep the dreams alive!
Some talk about GOING, others think about GOING but you WENT.
Good on you ... cos it's the start that stops most people."

Don't dither in the shallows, pretending to be building a nice vessel for another day. Ask the Lord for direction. Ask Him for a dream. Launch out! He is with you. He loves faith. He loves trust. He loves adventure. Even if you have to build your life and ministry on the sea ... don't worry ... He who began a good work in you WILL be faithful to complete it! Don't let the starting stop you!

Be encouraged. Be challenged. Be changed. Be ready for adventure!

Selah ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Very inspiring blog papa Mark. I always admire u guys in what u do -through every storm and trial in life u never let go.

So pleased to hear u led worship again. Was great hearing u and ur beautiful wife leading worship in Wick. Keep it going!

Love and prayers,

Auntie Vivix

P.s Hope Lydia has a great birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Remember the days when you used to sing"make me Lord a dreamer for your kingdom."We know the Lord has really blest and used you in the extension of his kingdom.Love and miss you. Mam

Anonymous said...

Its lovely to read your blog, it is a challenge, It is difficult to make a start sometime, but some people are late starters. You have blest and touch so many because you kept building when you were at sea( I'm sure your still at sea and will keep building) Blessing on you ALL (give Kistsy my love)
Auntie Betty and Uncle Billy