Thursday, July 03, 2008

SBTC ... Alive and Kicking!

I am so excited about what God is doing - right now - in and through our Bible School. This September, SBTC is 10 years old! It was started before we arrived but I thank the Lord that what is happening now at SBTC has been accomplished by a step by step progressive vision. We have been in a process - from an 8 month basic Church Planting course into a two year School of Ministry.

The last two years have been tough, I must admit. The sudden death of Pastor Abe really knocked us all .. particularly me! And when I came back in 2007 things were just not the same without my friend and co-worker around. I found it hard to put my heart back into the Bible School. We set up a temporary dean - Pastor James Bastian. We all took extra responsibilities to get us through but James is the guy I need to thank the Lord for. How he help everything together -along with his ministry at Cornerstone AND being the Administrator AND starting a family - is beyond me. But he did!

Last year, my co-director Pastor Angel and I identified a Pastor to be our new Dean of students. He was from Pastor Angel's church originally but had left to go to Bible School years ago. He married a lovely lady called Joy and they were ministering in the AoG's biggest Bible School in the Philippines - Bethel Bible School in Manila. Pastor Lorenz was the Dean of students and joy ran their Nursery School as well as being the Dean of Women! When we approached them, they said they would pray about it. But they could not come last year due to responsibilities and commitments.

To cut a long story short, I went down to visit them in Manila and preached in their Bible School. Unbeknown to me, the things that I said in my message were exactly the words that Lorenz had challenged God about that week. Gos is amazing. If He wants to tell you something ... you had better be ready! So they handed in their resignation and followed the call. They arrived here in the first week of May.

They are our new neighbours and they have two great kids - Rohama (4) and Aaron (2). They have made a huge difference to SBTC and are using all their skills and giftings to bring new ideas to our Bible School. best thing is ... they are so passionate about what God has called them to do. It is infectious! I have rekindled the love for these students and for the amazing vision of our Bible School. I am so excited! Joy is also working part-time in teh afternoons at the Nursery School and is really helping Mary.

We started enrollment at the end of May and I am delighted to tell you that we have 24 first year full time students and 13 full time second year students! So we have 37 full time students at SBTC and around 5 or 6 that are day students. There is a new buzz around the place! Can you spot me in the top picture?

I am especially delighted to tell you that we have eight full-time students from our Cornerstone Churches (see pic below)! Wow! They are the next generation of church planters and leaders that have come through our church. We are beginning to see some fruit of our labour at Cornerstone!

There are many Leaders in the AoG District here that really want us to reach out and do extension seminars in various places. Please pray for this new possibility. It opens up doors for us to train even more people fro the ministry from around Northern Luzon.

Pray also for our transport situation. We have a large Jeepney van, but it is very unsafe and I am really worried about it. We have so many students now that we need either another multi cab plus get our one fixed or we need to trade in the old banger and use any money towards buying two multi cabs. I am praying we can do this by September when the students start to go out on evangelism and church networking. We have been challenged to plant a church directly from our Bible School, so pray we can do it! In the AoG here now, you cannot apply for credentials unless you have planted a church!


Please pray for us at SBTC. The first few weeks can be difficult for the new students and we have found that many of them feel under so much pressure to go home. Pray for the Salazar family as they adjust to life at Sefton Village. Pray for that God would continue to give us a progressive vis
ion that we will be able to understand and follow.

Catch you later ...

Mark


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its brilliant to hear from you again. I thought you'd left Sefton and taken a new vocation elsewhere-- BUT No - youre still there. So good to hear all the things that are happening I'm Sure God will do amazing thing through the work of STBC.Hope you are all keeping well Lydia, Josiah, and Kirsty too. I hope you will be blest by the visit of the FR team God Bless you all Auntie betty and uncle Billy

Anonymous said...

U guys are so busy you make my head spin..!!