Monday, November 10, 2008

Home Sweet Home

In September I had the privilege of coming home to UK for almost a month. I attended a Bible School Director's Conference in Singapore and then headed to Scotland from there. Mary & the kids had to stay at home because of schooling etc. So I took this once-in-a lifetime-opportunity to bring 4 of my Pastors with me - Winston Bao-in, Marlou Javier, James Aquino and August Manio (chickenpox and all!!)

The main reason for me coming home was to minister at Rotherham New Life's Missions Weekend - If Not
Now When ... To Boldly Go. More about that later!

The majority if my time was spent in the NE Scotland. My mum flew out to Sefton whilst I was in UK and I came back to Philippines with my dad. So proud of my mum .. 7 weeks in the Phiippines in the roasting heat and no dad to keep her right!! Well done mum ... knew you could do it! Women power!

The first couple of weeks were jam packed - me and the guys speaking in so many churches, youth groups, children's clubs, Sunnybrae ... you name it! In between we did brilliant things ... fishing in a wee boatie Gamrie (unforgetttable!), going to see Aberdeen at Pittodrie (very forgettable!!) and a lot of other exciting things.

Best things was meeting up with my family and friends again. Brilliant. Met so many people - every day we were booked for lunch AND evening meals at friend's homes. Scottish people are the most lovely, kind, hospitable and generous folk. Highlight was seeing - for the first time - my new little niece Eve Flett. She is a smasher! Mary's brother Bruce and his wife Alison have been given a most precious gift. Thank you Lord.


Also had the great On Sundays we were pretty busy in the churches. So many churches. My Filipino Pastors loved it! We also had two 100% Filipino services for the Filipino fishermen in Fraserburgh. I preached at Fraserburgh AoG, New Hope Peterhead, Elim Fraserburgh, Calvary Fraserburgh and also at Kings Church in Aberdeen. Must say that we saw the Lord move in all of these services. Even met John Knox (below!)


Another highlight for me was the opportunity to preach at my best friend Ben's induction service. What a great night! So many folk from so many churches ... way it should be! Had the honour of preaching at Zion Church in Peterhead and baptising a really special guy called Peter Strachan. Memories. Especially the homebakes ... MMMMmmmm.


We travelled up to Wick with the guys to see Mary's mum & dad and all our friends up there. Beautiful journey up the coast. So wonderful to see my outlaws ... sorry inlaws ... again. They looked after us so well. They are really special and I admire them so much for the amazing way they handle the fact that we, including their grandkids, are so far away so often. This is the hardest part of being a missionary. Not only do we pay the cost ... they pay it much more. This is the greatest sacrifice. They are my heroes.

We spoke at the Over 60's in the Salvation Army and Marlou gave a presentation about 'Life in the Philippines'. I challenged them to think of some questions for Marlou and one lady, whom I know very well, shouted out (in broad Caithness) "How dye cook yir chikin?" We laughed about that all the way to Edinburgh! Folk in Wick like to get their oriental chicken recipes! We went to Edinburgh for a couple of nights. We walked the Royal Mile (with only my T-shirt because I left my jacket in Fraserburgh!) saw the castle and drove along Princes Street. It really is THE most beautiful City in the World. At night we had an went to amazing Korma with my friends Jenny & David. What a day! Getting tired now! Been round Scotland in thirty minutes. Next blog will be about our time in England.

Until then ...
Be good and live the dream!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was great havin u guys here - good times! Nothin like a mention of chicken pox yet again! One thing he sure won't forget!

Love to u all,

Aunti Vivix

p.s. Wick - oriental recipes - r u bein sarcastic Mark Ritchie!! haha!

Anonymous said...

Its good to hear of all your escapades while in Scotlamd. I'm sure these are not half of them. Good to hear you again give my love to ALL Auntie betty

Anonymous said...

aw, u guys should just come back again...

the memories of Peters baptism, -5 hahaha:)

love and prayers,

Rachel...x:)

thaytoo said...

En savoir plus www. dolabuy.co essentiels https://www.dolabuy.ru/ Cliquez sur ce lien Dolabuy Hermes

Unknown said...

u5e91p1z78 d5x70e2t46 b3r91y5o72 u4z79m3u52 y3h29i7a45 w4r24z6v46