Monday, May 11, 2009

How Can a City Be Changed?

Over the last week I have been really challenged by what I have seen, heard and experienced. What we think changes us; but also what wee see, hear and experience moulds and shapes our lives. No matter how much philosophy we know or ideas we may hold on to ... when disaster comes, what we go through and how we respond to what we go through shows what we really believe and trust in.

Last week I watched my friends and fellow workers homes go under a deluge of water and mud. I saw it. I also saw for myself how they reacted. My aunty Betty emailed me and said,"I cannot believe their faces (smiles)" I heard what they said and I experienced their deep emotions and positive attitude. They have preached louder last week than in the last 5 years behind a pulpit.

How can we change city? The same way in which I have been changed. Seeing. Experiencing. Hearing.

There are a few basic things that you see in the first few chapters of Acts - the beginning, the blueprint for the church.

1. Prayer
2. Power
3. Presence
4. Provision
5. Proclamation

Why is this still so important today? How can we still follow this simple example?

1. Prayer - believe it or not, prayer is still the key that will unlock doors and open the way for a clear vision. If we pray ... He will answer. In this age of ready made videos & DVD's, there is still no shortcut to revival or transformed societies. It starts with a group of people who are desperate for God to do something and even more desperate to be used by Him. Many churches are doing everything EXCEPT pray. Our fruit will be little and our vision will be good ideas.

2. Power - I am a Pentecostal, and I have preached so many times about the miracles, signs and wonders. We need them today etc. etc. And we do. this unbelieving generation demands a sign that God is alive and sometimes only a miracle will prove He is there and He has power.

We have been faced with many challenges in the past 9 years and we could tell you story after story of the miraculous power of God. When you trust Him ... He turns up. Back in the UK I believe that people need to experience the power of God. Not just read about it or hear about it ... but experience it. Trouble is that very few Pastors and leaders see a true miracle from one years end to another. We need to experience the power of God.

3. Presence - and where do we need this power? On the streets. In the hospitals. In our homes. In our workplace. Church was not made to be in church building alone. Church was designed to be where the people were. My views on church have changed so much in my few years here.

A few months ago God spoke to me. He said, "Mark, 99% of people in this city will never come to Cornerstone." What an encouraging word! Thanks Lord. He lead me to read the Gospel of Mark. Then I realised. Probably 90% of the ministry of Christ was done on the streets - in people's homes, in the market, in the Fields, in the villages. When I looked at my church experience over the years, I realised that 90% of all ministry in most churches is done INSIDE the church building. We gather a few but multitudes outside never hear.

God designed the church to have presence in the marketplace. this is where we belong. What about a church that never goes on to the streets, never reaches out to the strangers, never touches the poor? What kind of a church is that? That, my friend is not a church as God designed; it is a group of Christians who meet together for the sake of meeting together. We are right when we call it 'Meetings" - we meet and leave. The church is not an end ... but a means to an end. Church without evangelism is not a church at all. A church with no presence on the streets is a church that needs to wake up and smell the harvest.

4. Provision - the early church ministered to the poor, fed the widows and found themselves reaching out into the felt needs of Jerusalem. This is so importance. I am really beginning to see that there is an invisible secret that we know little about by reading the book of Acts. Yes, power and miracles are important for people to experience. But I believe that many accepted Christ because they SAW a church that ministered to the poor day in day out. Not a fortnightly rota with a few buns and soup, but a group of people who cared consistently and selflessly.

They gave. They fed. They prayed for people. They clothed. The sacrificed what they had. They ministered. Every day.

I have seen the power of kindness last week. By giving out a few cakes and noodles last week I felt true appreciation from people whose lives were falling apart. They said things like, :I will never forget your kindness." Or "No-one cares for us apart from Cornerstone." or "Nobody came but you." They SAW something. Their felt need was met. Random acts of loving kindness can break the hardest heart.

When we schedule evangelistic programmes and powerful events, let us remember that a simple act of kindness and love can be just as powerful as the most wonderful message! Yes, we need people to experience the power. But just as important, we need people to SEE that we really care. We provide. We give. We sacrifice.

5. Proclamation - Our mission at Cornerstone is "to Make Jesus Famous" People in Santiago need to be connected to Him ... the source of life and everything we need. In the early church, it was all about Jesus. In every message in Acts, the Apostles preached Jesus.

Today, we still need people to HEAR that Jesus is the only one that can save, heal, deliver and bring joy, purpose and life! We still have a message to proclaim! Praise God, the way in which we can share the message has changed - blogs, podcasts, internet, powerpoints etc. etc ... but the basic message is still the same. Amazing.

I believe the people in Jerusalem SAW the care and compassion of these young Christians; They experience the miraculous power of God and they heard the message of Christ. They believed, repented, were baptised ... and the church grew from strength to strength, from street to street, family to family. News about what was happening was the talk of the town. Being with Christians was the place to be. The whole city was filled with awe and great joy.

How I wish one day people will write this about Santiago!

Can a city be changed? Yes. Absolutely. But somehow we have to allow the people to see, experience and hear what God is all about. He needs no props. When He turns up things will never be the same again. I feel we have to change the way we think. Allow God to show us new paradigms. New levels.

Gotta go and catch my bus!

What do yo think? Please leave a comment and lets get talking!

Selah

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi pastor mark. Thanks for sharing this on your blog. It really reminded me of how christians tend to box God in churches instead of letting God out of churches. And the simple thing of prayer is something that is lacking among the youth christians nowadays. I'm a youth myself from cornerstone, singapore. And I really agree and think that we should start acting upon the 5 areas that you have mentioned in our current day ministries. May God bless you and your family in phillipines.

-aaron jedidiah

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark ... this is solid and right on. WE have overcomplicated things and trusted our methods rather than truly trusted the risen living Jesus. Paul said I am persuaded that HE IS ABLE ... for a long time I have been persuaded that I am able ... but, now I am persuaded that I am not able, and I am learning to flush out how I walk with and trust him more fully. Depending on His presence, giving him opportunities to show up in difficult circumstances through prayer ... because HE TRULY IS ABLE!! as we continue to step out into the highways and biways, I believe we too will become fully persuaded like Paul. Thanks for your blog and your insight - Mike May, Humble TX

Muso said...

Hi Pastor Mark, it has been a blessing reading your blog, so please write more! :)

This post convicted me about the 'street-work' that Jesus did in His ministry. That was where He hung out to minister and that's where we should be, too. I mean, being there (work, school etc.) is one thing, but being conscious of and fulfilling our purpose there beyond work and study - meeting the needs of those around us and letting them experience Jesus through our living testimonies of love and helping hands - is altogether a different story.

So, thanks for your sharing. It was indeed quite a paradigm shift which I hope to apprehend further, and deeper.

Like your aunty Betty, I'm really amazed by the reactions of your friends and fellow workers even amidst the flood and damages to their homes and possession. I better get geared up for less attachments to mine...and not be caught up with possessing more.

Hope to see you again, soon!

Your fan :P
Cynthia
Cornerstone, Singapore

vincegab said...

hi,sir.. im shervin from santiago city also. i know the place of your blog, the exact address is calao east bridge.