Monday, February 12, 2007

Dedicated and Submerged!


G'day folks! Trust you had a good weekend and that all is well. We had a great Saturday. By the way, someone told me that I use the word 'great' far too many times. So I apologise for anyone of the same opinion ... but if you were here on Saturday you would say it was great too!

In the morning I had the honour of dedicating a lovely wee boy called James. He is the son of one of our Pastors - James Aquino. James and his lovely wife Florence have a little 3 year old daughter called Gwyneth (James liked the name of Miss Paltrow after watching one of her movies!!! I asked him of it was not her looks he was taken to .. but he assures me it was only the name he liked!), and the Lord has blessed them with a son. James jr. was one year old on Saturday, so it was a double celebration. I spoke about four James' that made a difference - James the Disciple (Friend of Jesus), James the Brother of Jesus (Pastor & Writer), King James (who authorised the Word of God to be available in English) and James Gilmour.
Does anyone know about Mr Gilmour? Respond below and be 'Ritchie's Scholar of the Year'...

I prayed the young James would grow to be a man who finds the Lord as his closest friend, a man who would bring the Lord to many people's lives, would be a man of God's Word and would be a man that would have a passion for souls. I think it is lovely when parents recognise that the Lord has blessed them with a child and they want to dedicate him/her back to God.

In the Philippines you choose 'Ninangs (female) and Ninongs (male)' who are Godparents to the child. They promise to support, pray for and take interest in the child and to be there in good times and bad. They are expected to give gifts at Christmas & Birthdays.

In the afternoon I had the blessing of baptising 21 new believers from our Cornerstone Churches. It was a GREAT occasion. They were so happy! It was a scorching day and I must admit that it is the first time I have baptised anyone with a baseball hat! Wonder of John had one of them??

Each person being baptised was given a verse of encouragement from the Bible, was prayed for and after baptism we sang their chosen song as they left the pool. Merienda (snacks) was provided for all. The moment we said 'Amen' at the closing prayer, about 30 kids jumped in! Very un-religious but absolutely wonderful.

At night, tired but happy, I watched the Scottish Rugby Team wallop (slight exaggeration) the Welsh. Aberdeen won, Man Utd won and I went to sleep one happy camper!
GREAT!

No comments: