Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Our Faithful Father (Part 3)


How are you all out there? As I look at the map of where people have read my blog I am amazed ... from Alaska to India to New Zealand (can't get too big headed as I know that most of the dots mean only 1-10 log-ons!!) Hey, but I must admit that the Gospel according to Ritchie hasn't really penetrated Africa, Russia, South America and the other 99% of the world! So come on .. let's fill our map with big beautiful red dots ... any friends in strange and weird countries? Coming to think of it ... I do have a few friends in England! (Andrew David for one...) Ha Ha

So many things happening here right now. So many many stories to tell, but first I want to finish off about God's faithfulness. What is happening here at Sefton is ALL to do with His faithfulness and grace.


Here are the last 2 points:

4. God Is far More Committed to Me than I Am!

I am committed to me ... most of the time. I know my faults, failings and weaknesses more than anyone else. Sometimes, due to the fact that we very often feel that we let ourselves down, we can lose a sense of purpose and we can let discouragement come and sweep us off our feet.

But get this: God knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows our weaknesses and failings in a way that we cannot comprehend. And yet, despite of who we are and what we do ... He loves us and is fully committed to us. Sometimes I say, "God, why didn't you give up on me?" Ever felt like that? But the amazing reality we must grasp is that He will never walk away; He will never abandon us; He is always close, always waiting for us to turn to Him.

I Like what the Message Bible says in Phil 1:6:

'There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.'

You must understand this: God is absolutely committed to you. He knows what He wants for your life, and he will use 'unforced rhythms of grace' to show you His dreams. His time is impeccable ... never late and never early and his grace knows no limitations. His patience goes beyond frustration and he never remembers a sin that He has already dealt with. His love is unconditionally available and He is like an excited father waiting to unfold beautiful plans that prosper his sons and daughters.

5. We See the Episodes; God has seen the series

At Christmas, my father in law gave me a DVD. It was the build up and aftermath of the Liverpool v AC Milan Champions League Final form 2005. I didn't actually see the game live as I was doing a youth camp here in the Philippines. But I had heard about this unbelievable game from many people.

I watched it ... and was gripped! Imagine, Liverpool lose an early goal to one of the best teams in the world. Then another, and another. Half time comes and they are 3-0 down. They troop off the park embarrassed and dejected. I cannot imagine what the manager shouted at them at half time ... but it worked. They came back and scored a goal ...another .. and then they scored with a penalty. The result was 3-3 after 90 minutes. Incredible. AC Milan missed a bundle of chances and it went to penalties. Liverpool scored more penalties and won the cup. No-one (and I mean no-one) had given them any chance after 45 minutes.

As I watched this match, almost 15 months later, I knew the result. I could watch the whole thing knowing the outcome and knowing that Liverpool were champions. However, the poor Liverpool and AC Milan fans who watched the game live were frazzled. They were emotionally exhausted. The lights were on but no-one was at home! Coz in the midst of the battle you are fighting for victory. You only see the battles you face; you do not think about the war.


This an amazing fact: God has seen the whole series. Even the episode of your life you are going through now ... he knows the result. He sees the big picture. He knows the beginning from the end. He is the alpha and the omega. He is the author and the finisher of our faith. Don't worry about tomorrow ... for God is already there.

For us, there are many battles and much pain. Some episodes are difficult. Where can we turn? Turn to the Lord my friend. Set you eyes on him. For He knows the best thing for you to do. He knows the best decisions you have to make. He knows the best answers and He can see things that we are not even aware of.

The Lord IS faithful. He is our Faithful Father and He longs for us to draw closer to Him so He can speak into our lives. Be assured of His assurance and have faith in His faithfulness.

Selah ...