Tuesday, May 29, 2007

MALIGAYANG KAARAWAN (Happy Birthday!)


Well, it's true. I am now 38!! Seriously ... 37 sorta feels youngish, but 38 sounds truly-almost 40! If you think I feel old ... what does my poor old mum think? Every birthday she starts off by saying, "I can't believe I have a _ _ year old son!" You'd better believe it mum, I was born in Summer of '69!

As I have said on previous blogs, Birthdays are BIG events here. They really push the boat out. Here's what happened yesterday ...

At 4:30 (yes, that is a 4, not a slip of my fingers) I was awoken out of my sleep by a loud droning noise. I thought I was in a bad dream until, half awake, I recognised the dulcet tones of Pastor Alex from San Isidro! And there they were, singing " Through It All" on my porch in the dark! Around 20 lovely folk from Cornerstone San Isidro. They are so wonderful, led by their handsome leader Pastor Adonis. They sang a few songs and we brought them inside for a cup of tea. To my surprise they produced this huge basket of homemade cakes. Yum. They prayed for me and disappeared into the night sky ...


Later, the kids wanted to get a MacDonald's breakfast for daddy's special day. By the end of this, I was already feeling a bit full up. Next, I was invited to go to Pastor Marlou's house for a fellowship time with all the Cornerstone leaders. Again, we talked and ate ice cream and hotdogs. At 11am, I was shocked to find Cristina setting up the table outside as we talked. She produced two huge portions of Peking duck that she had cooked ... amazing. I only took a wee bit ....

...'coz I knew I had to be home at 1130 for a special birthday lunch at the children's home!! Sure enough, the table was full of amazing food and all the kids and staff were excited as they waited. What a meal! Beautiful. By this stage, I had met so many people and eaten so much food I felt a bit groggy!

In the evening Winston & Mary Jane took the kids out and Mary & I went for a lovely meal by ourselves ... a rare treat! After we got home I watched some of the Derby v West Brom game and had a cuppa. What a day! Good old Derby! (I wanted Derby to win because my sister in law Alison is from there and is a big supporter. Also, they have a Scottish manager ...)

In the Philippines they don't have a lot to share, but they have huge hearts. They always want to give their utmost. Their attitude is to make special days special. To all you Filipinos reading this - you're the best!

I just want to give a quick 'Happy Birthday' to my younger brother Paul who is 36 today. He is a special guy with a great family and I am so excited because they are all coming out to the Philippines in October.

Please promise me that none of you folk from the NE Scotland will show this blog to my nurse Nicola in Fraserburgh. If she finds out what I ate yesterday ... I may not see 39!

p.s. - here is a funny story from Keith ...

"Last Sunday morning we were at a service in Nagassican, one of the outer villages within Santiago. During the service a group of young people was performing a dance. I noticed that one girl had a coin in each ear. Thinking it might be some kind of folk medicine for sore ears, or some other traditional custom, I asked the pastor why she did that. "Because she doesn't have a pocket," was his reply. Ah, well, ask a silly question ...."


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my friend! wish we were there on your birthday...
best wishes on your birthday. God bless

rommel/mirasol/baby

jasonbob said...

irving shoes
adidas yeezy boost 350 v2
yeezy boost 350
yeezy
kobe 11
yeezy boost 350
moncler outlet
kobe shoes
lebron 16
supreme

Unknown said...

Check Out Your URL replica bags online visit their website replica bags china go to the website Louis Vuitton fake Bags

Anonymous said...

this page his explanation look these up replica ysl recommended you read try this