Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Bringing Hope to our Hospital

Three years ago, my little girl Lydia became sick with pneumonia and was admitted to hospital here in Santiago. The sad thing was … it was on Christmas Eve! Poor wee soul. She was admitted at around 4pm, and for 12 hours Mary & Lydia did not get a single visit from anyone – except for a few nurses’ visits to take Lydia’s temperature. When I arrived at 4pm on Christmas Day, they were so delighted to see me!

In 2005 I challenged the members of Cornerstone Church to give up a few hours of their Christmas Day and spend time visiting the sick in hospital. I was amazed at their enthusiasm! So we found out how many people were in the 4 main hospitals in Santiago. We bought gifts for them all – fruit and biscuits for the adults and toys for the kids. After we had our Christmas Morning service we divided the church into 4 groups and sent them to the hospitals.

Well, they came back rejoicing with many stories to tell. In the hospital where I went, the patients could not believe that we would care enough to visit them on Christmas Day. They were amazed as we sang Carols gave gifts and prayed for them. The whole experience really touched the lives of our members as they saw the effect of their love on the patients. We repeated this ministry last December.

When I was home on Scotland, the Lord challenged me to set up a consistent Hospital Ministry programme – not once a year, but once a week. I spoke it over with Pastor Marlou who is our Cornerstone Spiritual Life Director. Finally, two weeks ago we began our new ministry. It all happened quite miraculously. A month ago we went to school to do a feeding programme – only to find that most of the kids were not there as it was their last day before summer. What would we do with all the food? Henry shouted, “Let’s go to the Hospital next door.”

The Hospital is called the General Emergency Hospital … but it is not like any hospital you know. It is for the poorest of the city and is run by the government. There are just as many people out in the corridors as there are in wards. Hygienic conditions are terrible and it has been many years since the walls have seen a lick of paint. Inside this hospital are desperate, needy and sick people of all ages. It is hard to even walk around and see the desperation on people’s faces.


But we went and fed everyone in the hospital – even the staff! The chief of the Hospital wanted to see me and we spent 30 minutes with him. I shared our vision and he was so touched. We agreed that every week we would go and pray for the sick and once a month we would feed everyone as well. Listen to this – he asked us to build and decorate a House of Prayer in the hospital!!! Amazing.

So a fortnight ago we started. First, we had a small service in the Out Patient waiting room! I preached to doctors, nurses, staff, cleaners, patients, carers and family members. Chaos! But I really enjoyed it. We then fed everyone and began t o pray for the people. Our team of Pastors and Leaders prayed for everyone in the hospital. We felt the presence and peace of God in that desperate place.

We went again on Tuesday – very humbling experience. I prayed with a little girl whose finger had been cut off by her brother. She is only 4 years old. I prayed with a man who had been beaten up by his brother in law with steel bar – his face was horrendously cut and bruised. I prayed for many with diabetes, high blood pressure and one man who had been shot by his friend. And so much more …

In the heart of this hospital … people are finding hope. Jesus is there. Keith had a great point at our leader’s cell group the other day. Many people say, “Jesus the answer!” And of course, He is. BUT, the Bible says “Christ IN YOU, the hope of Glory.” In you. You.

You are also the answer. Your life. Your hands. As the song says, “So many lives depend on what I do…”


In your village, town or city there are many who are lonely, or desperate, or sick, or needy. Don’t pray, “Draw near to them” – you draw near. Don’t cry, “Lord, touch them” – you touch them. Don’t say, “Lord lift them up” – you encourage them. May Christ IN YOU minister to them.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Selah...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just missed so badly the ministry i had been with... may the cornerstone church and its ministry reach the people of tuguegarao...

rommel t.

Anonymous said...

hiya mark how is silena geting on ?
Grace-louise Strachan
give me a coment on bebo my adress is xGrace-Cutex@bebo.com