Sunday, May 06, 2007

Wish You Were There ...


Well, I have to come clean. For the last 7 days we have been on a wee holiday in a place just north of Manila. The American military were in Clark Airfield for many decades and used it as a military base. But they left in the early 90's and the Filipino Government kept Clark as a special economic zone and opened it up for tourism and recreation. They renovated all the old Military Villas and now they are holiday homes.

I had hoped to keep blogging but the villa we were staying in had no Internet access and it just didn't work out. My apologies! But we had a great time. A friend of mine took me aside when I was home in the UK and really encouraged me that in the midst of ministering to many, I must look after my own. He challenged me to make family holidays special and to create happy memories for Lydia & Josiah. So that is what we did!

We drove down last Saturday and we half planned to so to my friend's church in San Fernando, but when I phoned to find our directions they told me in was San Fernando in La Union - 6 hours away! Anyway, I'm sure the Lord understands! We did a lot of swimming at the pool with the kids. To be honest, as long as you give my kids 3 feet of water, they would be happy to go anywhere! They love to swim, jump, dive .. Lydia is like a wee fish. Josiah is like a learner fish with his armbands.

The highlight of the holiday came on Wednesday. We thought we could go to a beautiful place called Subic Bay. The guy in the hotel told us it was about 1.5 hours ... yeah, right, double it! So we arrived at the small Safari Park there at around 1130, and we planned to return to Clark at 3pm. What a waste of a day! So I challenged them ... let's find somewhere to stay the night (expecting a barrage of excuses of why that was impossible). But the response was a resounding yes! So, with not a toothbrush between us, no clean under or over wear ... we went in search of a place to stay.

Unbelievable. We found this fairly new hotel next to the Ocean Adventure Park ... on the beach. Yup, not beside the beach or near the beach ... but on the beach. What a place. What a view. What an experience. We ate by the edge of the sea, we went swimming in crystal clear water and we went to sleep with the sound of the waves lapping against the shore. Aaaggh. Bliss.

Next day we swam, ate and went to Ocean Park. It is much smaller that Orlando, but the place is impressive. The dolphins, sea lions and whales made my kids very happy!


There was one complete disaster for me ... on Monday I went swimming with the kids at the pool, and after one hour I realised there was something in my pocket - my mobile phone!! Couldn't believe it! I dried it out for two days, but the technical guy smiled at me yesterday and said "Patay"- dead. And things got worse. I took out the sim card and was trying to check my messages on Mary's phone. Guess what? I lost the sim card. Now I have a dead phone and a missing sim. All my contacts in my phone are now uncontactable and irretrievable. Scunner! Never mind.


All good things come to grinding halt and this morning we packed up and drove the 7 hour journey back home. I have so much to share ... last week was a wonderful week of sharing to so many people in so many places. This coming week is a monster week - the SOS guys returning, the FEBC programmers training Conference and the Week of Refreshing for all past and present SBTC Students. I know it's a lot to chew on in one week ...


..but for now, it is still 'this week' and I am still living on the memories of superb beaches, splashes and laughter, diet coke on the rocks and peace and quiet.

Tough life being a missionary you know ... and don't let anyone tell you any different!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a day!
Never mine your sim, as long as you've enjoyed the place.
You may contact Mr. Text and he will provide you loads of numbers from his sim. Most of which are social workers! haha!

Rommel T.

Anonymous said...

Aww dats so nice you guys went a family holiday you sooo... deserve it!!

Pastor Mark wat can I say - thought it was only me that managed to do stupid things like that!!! seems not!! hehe!!

Have a great week! Will call you soon

Love

Aunti Vivix