Monday, June 12, 2006

Biting The Bullet

Today has been one of the hardest days of my life. We drove down overnight to Manila and went to the UST hospital. Abe was checked over and we waited for a Doctor to come. Abe had been in a lot of pain after his long journey. At this point, Gemma and Abe were not aware of the awful truth, The Doctor arrived and, after onky a few minutes of reading the notes, called me and Gemma over.

He was very abrupt and his manner was not very good. He basically said,"There is nothing we can do. He is at stage 4 of cancer and we cannot operate or give chemo. The cancer is right through him. We can only give supportive therapy now." Poor poor Gemma. I talked to her and tried to console her a little. She had hoped for far better news. After a while she said, "Let's tell Abe." We went into his cubicle and Gemma just said, Pastor Mark has something to tell you." ... and walked away!

I told him as best I could. In a way, I think he knew. He nodded from time to time. I told him that humanly speking, nothing could be done. But that is precisely the time sometimes when God shows up. One word from the Lord changes everything. Abe wanted to go home but I convinced him to stay one night so he could rest. We waited over 7 hours to be admitted into a room.

I have cried so much today. I cannot believe it. Why Lord?

Shortly after we came to the Philippines, two American missionaries were taken hostage by the Abu Sayaf - Islamis Terrorists. It was so tragic as we watched them treck through the jungles barefooted. It was ironic that the TV cameras could easliy find them and interview them ... but the whole Philippine Army could not! The whole story is in an amazing book called "In the Presence of Mine Enemies" written by Gracia Burnham.

They were dragged through the jungle for a whole year. Tragically, Martin Burnham lost his life in those last few minutes. Later, his wife recounted his last words and actions. You can read them:

Some of Burnham's last words in the United States were also the last words of Jesus recorded in the Gospel of John, said Ralph Burnham, Martin's uncle, during yesterday morning's service at the church. "His very last words were, 'Follow thou me.'" Ralph Burnham said, his voice choking up. "Martin not only spoke of following him, but he took on that responsibility. Of course, at that time neither he nor any of us expected how far he was going to be required to go to. But he was willing to go."

Martin Burnham, 42, kept that attitude throughout the 376 days he and his wife, Gracia, 43, were held captive by the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group.

Just before a Philippine military raid on the kidnappers that led to Martin's death and Gracia's freedom, the two huddled together in a hammock under a makeshift tent.

"Martin and Gracia had really been thinking that there would be a chance that they would not make it out alive," said Martin's brother, Doug, relying on a phone conversation with Gracia. "Martin said to Gracia, 'The Bible says to serve the Lord with gladness. Let's go out all the way. Let's serve him all the way with gladness.'"

The two then prayed in their hammock, recited Scripture verses to each other, and sang. They laid down to rest. Then the rescue assault began and bullets began to fly, puncturing Gracia's leg and Martin's chest.

"That was Gracia's last [memory] of Martin, that to the very end he served the Lord with gladness,"




Today, especially me, I want to serve the Lord with gladness. the joy of the Lord IS my strength! Tomorrow is a new day of greater possibilities.

I have a Shepherd, One I love so well;
How He has blessed me tongue can never tell;
On the cross He suffered, shed His blood and died,
That I might ever in His love confide.

Chorus:
Following Jesus, ever day by day,
Nothing can harm me when He leads the way;
Darkness or sunshine, whate'er befall,
Jesus, the Shepherd, is my All in All.

Pastures abundant doth His hand provide,
Still waters flowing ever at my side,
Goodness and mercy follow on my track,
With such a Shepherd nothing can I lack.

When I would wander from the path astray,
Then He will draw me back into the way;
In the darkest valley I need fear no ill,
For He, my Shepherd, will be with me still.

When labor's ended and the journey done,
Then He will lead me safely to my home;
There I shall dwell in rapture sure and sweet,
With all the loved ones gathered round His feet.


Leonard Weaver

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This must be one of the toughest things you have been through but remember that God is not just holding Abe and Gemma in the palm of His hand but you too. He won't ask anything of you which goes beyond the strength he gives you. We are praying for Pastor Abe and family and you and Mary here at Bolton. Love you mate, anything I can do let me know. Gillian

Anonymous said...

OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU ALL LOVE Pat x

Anonymous said...

I love the word you said "I don't know God's plan, but I know God has a plan" I believe this is a great encouragement into Pstr Abe's Life and mine too....

MEL

Anonymous said...

The Lord is faithful and He is in control of everything that takes place in our lives. His plans are good. His goodness is everlasting. Oh how wonderful to see the glory of God through His goodness. Remember how the Lord revealed himself to Moses when He hid him in the cleft of the rock and let His goodness pass by. Dear brother Mark, the ground upon which you stand is solid and holy and we are praying with you for that glimps of His Glory. John