Friday, June 23, 2006

Family

Well, after yesterday's epic, I thought I would do a short and sweet blog today! A few minutes ago I got an MSN invitation to join my brother David on a video call. Isn't technology amazing? I remember being in Ghana in 1994 and having to walk around 3 miles just to try and call someone! Anyway, we ended up talking to my mum and dad, David, Elizabeth etc. It was so great to hear and see them all.

I have been thinking a lot about family this week. I am so blessed. Amazingly blessed. My mum and dad have loved me and encouraged me since the day I told them I was going to Bible School (and well before that actually!!). They are completely behind all their boys and, even though we often make funny jokes about them, we really love and respect them both so much.

My brothers, Paul and David, both love the Lord and are serving Him full time. They are great at all practical things as well - they are the DIY experts. Me, I'm just happy the Lord gave me the lions share of good looks, humour and personality .. all mixed up with a great deal of humility!! Ha Ha

'Ma brithers' are married to two great ladies (I was going to write 'wifies' there, but they would kill me!) called Ashley and Elizabeth. They both love the Lord and serve him in their local church. And my nephews and niece ... well the are the best! Nathan is the eldest and is very grown up. I hear he is very smart and very gwapo (handsome in Filipino). He obviously takes after his uncle Mark! One of my favorite things I am going to do when I am home is taking Nathan to see Aberdeen play. Aaron will have changed so much since we last saw him and I hear that he loves sweeties, cakes and anything that the dentist says is not good. He is a lovely wee man and I can't wait to see his cheeky smile again!

We were so blessed to have David's kids here for 3 months at Sefton. Bethany is beautiful and was always out playing ... especially with water! Bethany and Lydia were so funny together - we used to call them Paris and Nicole. If you know who they are, you're up to date with Hollywood, if you don't then don't worry, you're not missing anything! Wee Daniel was the happiest, cutest and most content baby we have ever met. He loved to sleep, get cuddles, eat, crawl around and then sleep ... before the cycle started all over again!

Doesn't stop there! My uncles and aunties are all Christians and they are such a blessing and support to us here. I have noticed over the past few weeks that many of them have been putting 'comments' into this blog ... my goodness, I didn't know half of them had a computer!! Just shows eh? These 'older' folks may say that they can't even work a calculator .. but secretly they are tecky-web surfin' - Gig crunchin' whizz kids! Don't be fooled!

I am also very close to all my cousins and love it when we meet up for our family reunions! What a laugh! Cousin George never loves to lose .. even when playing 10 year old girls at table tennis! My cousin Andrew Jack is the funniest guy with the straightest face you will ever meet. My 'Peterheed' cousins are the nicest folk you could ever want to call 'family' and when we meet up it is as if we had never been apart.

And then there is Mary's side of the family ... they also are such a blessing to us. David Flett is a constant source of encouragement. Before we came to the Philippines he bought his first computer. I remember writing down 'How to Save'... step by step. Now? He is a hundred times further on than me. If I have a problem I go to him!! Another one of these quiet tecky-whizz kids disguising themselves as Grandas. MMmmm. And Wilma Flett - who could ask for a better mother in law. I mean, all these jokes I hear about MIL's are just not true in my case. When we go to Wick she cooks lovely meals for us, does jigsaw puzzles with us, plays with the kids ... and EVEN watches the football with me and David. Can a man ask for a better mother in law?

Mary has a brother called Bruce - a topper of a guy. Like me, loves gadgets. Loves cars, music, PA Systems, motorbikes and Aberdeen Football Club (well you can't have it all good!) He is really helping us to prepare for coming home. He found a car for us to buy and we are so grateful. He is married to a lovely lady called Alison. She is so gentle and caring ... God knew what Bruce needed! They both came to visit us last Christmas and we had a great time. Can't wait to see them again.

I think that's it. Why am I writing this? Well. last week, I really felt that Abe needed a boost. Abe was orphaned at a young age and did not know a father's love. When my dad came out in 2001, Abe and him became very close. Abe said to my dad before he left, "Is it ok for you if I call you dad?" My dad said, "No problem Abe." Last Tuesday I passed the cell phone to Abe and I heard him say, " Hello dad .. so good to hear from you again.How's mum?"

I tried to imagine what it would be like to live with no father or mother; what it would be like to have no father's advice or no mother's unconditional love. What would it be like to have no close family around you ... no brothers to banter with or sisters to tease. Uncles and Aunties that hardly knew you and cousins you only met at weddings and funerals.

Out of everything, being far away from our families is the greatest cost and sacrifice we are having to pay. Sometimes you have to bite out lips and move on. But at least .. we have family. At least we will be with them soon. And we are so grateful. We cannot wait. We are blessed.

How about you? How about your family? Treasure them. Cherish them. Contact them. Love them. Because days may come when you wish you could.

So much for short'n'sweet!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there it would seem that you must be coming home soon I guess when you are praising up you mother in law like that.

Love to you all.

Filly

Anonymous said...

I thought you would hve told all your friends that your MIL even plays DARTS with you --and she's good too!!! You have indeed been blest of God by a wonderful family. Love to you all (Abe and family too)Uncle billy 'n Betty

Anonymous said...

Hi dear nephew thanks for such a lovely message. you all mean so much to us can't wait to see you all .Uncle George says you will be delighted Ghana's through to play Brazil as for me I will shout with joy when it it is all over. may God bless you all and continue to heal Pastor Abe and Julie.
love to you all

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I can sense there is a longing in your heart to see your family, and that will be wonderful; but it made me think of the exuberant joy, we who are in the Lord, shall all have in meeting with Him face to face!!
Just brilliant.
How there should be a longing in the hearts of believers for that great and wonderful day?

Thank you for sharing your heart
Hope to see you soon.

Donald